Monday, November 7, 2011

Party on a Monday: Kindergarten Style

Prologue: A few of the benefits of living with my host family are their hospitality, their kindness, and their sweet house. These benefits are not exclusive to me. Which means? Birthdays happen here. Even if the celebrant is not an inhabitant.

Monday, October 24, 2011: Wonderful Peace Corps Day
Morning- Human Rights presentation at the private high school. The teens got into it and later, they told me they wanted me to give more presentations. I have a suspicion this is because I gave them stickers for participating. Thanks for throwing those in the Halloween package, Joe ;)
-Helped out around the house and hung out with some neighbors and moms in Piere's class. They are a fun group :)

Afternoon- Party at Piere's house! No really, the kindergarten teacher's birthday was that week, so the mothers in Piere's class organized a party for her with all of her students and their mothers at our house. It was an afternoon of food, fun, and of course an hora loca. I have a ton of pictures of this, but they are stuck on my camera that decides to work a little less everyday. As of late, I can take photos and videos, but uploads are impossible. Sigh. It was a really fun and random event. The mothers here work so hard. My host mom, with the help of a few of the other moms, worked all morning cooking, cleaning, decorating, etc. Don't worry, I helped. Because I am so 'tall' here, I get the fun jobs of hanging balloons, ribbons, piñatas, etc. It was a great party with a ton of energy and kindergarten fun. Low point- When some genius gave the 25 kindergartners in attendance whistles. Who invited that guy? High point- Having a dance off with a 6 year old. He won. Those little guys know how to bust it.
-Ran some errands and bumped into the mayor who invited me to go with him and another one of my community partners from the municipality to a sporting event in a neighboring town. I wasn't able to go that week, but getting the invitation was really nice.

Evening- Went for a run while the sun was setting. Desert sunsets will always be gorgeous to me and I don't anticipate ever getting tired of them. It was an awesome run and felt great. Perfect way to end a really good Peace Corps day.

No comments:

Post a Comment