Friday, September 7, 2012

August Recap

August. 

>The 19th marked one year for me as a sworn-in Peace Corp volunteer. 
>On the 22nd, I celebrated my one year anniversary in Ascope. 
>I spent a week in Lima for annual med checks. It was great seeing everyone from the Youth Development side of Peru 17. 
>Lima offered its spoils of all-you-can-eat sushi, sandwich shops, Thai food, milkshakes, and of course, Starbucks. I ate SO much sushi one night and had Starbucks pretty much every day. 
>Lima is cold right now. The weather in Ascope is perfect. Sunny seventies. Loving it. 
>I stumbled into the oldest Starbucks in South America on their 9th birthday. I got free cake! Happy birthday Starbucks on Ovalo Guitierrez in Miraflores (: 
>Med checks were good. I am healthy. And happy. 
>Bought my ticket for a visit home in October! SOOO excited :) 
>My fellow 17ers are doing awesome things in their sites- drum clubs, bike races, ecological tour groups led by youth, youth centers, gardens for mothers of small children, etc. Inspiring. Proud to be a part of this group. 
>Piere and I embarked on a mutual mission for me to get him the largest variety possible of Disney erasers from a toy machine at a grocery store chain. Fifteen soles later, I was cursing Donald Duck and fighting the addiction to keep feeding coins into a machine in order to get a wider variety of Disney characters. I think I need to make more adult friends. 
>I am realizing how fast time passes and how little time I have left here. 
>I went to a science fair the last week of August and walked away with 5 FREE bundles of asparagus, fresh from the field. I love this country. And I love my job. 
>I have been enjoying delicious Starbucks coffee all month, thanks to my wonderful sister and her generous packages filled with glorious amounts of Starbucks Via pouches. I love you, family. Oh, how I look forward to seeing you soon. 
>This week two of the schools in Ascope celebrated their anniversary. This meant parties all week. Between the anniversaries and the holiday last Thursday that extended into Friday, I don't think any classes happened from any teacher all week. Add that to the two week winter vacation from classes at the beginning of the month, and it has been an easy month on students... a rougher month on me, as far as classes at the high school go. Glad I have a lot of stuff going on and could focus elsewhere this month. 
>My English class in a neighboring town is still going strong. My numbers have fallen a little, but I'm optimistic that the students I've kept are learning and that our numbers will come back up. I've gotten used to this pattern. Tons of kids, less kids, few kids, more kids, medium amount of kids. In that order. Happens in every class I've taught so far. 
>Speaking of that class, I am closer than I have ever been to getting my donation for the Red Ambiental and science fair from the sugar company for whom I teach that English class. I'll write a full post on this later when it is all said and done. 
>On the 17th, Peru 19 swore in for service. They got an awesome swearing in ceremony at the US ambassador's house in Lima. Lucky ducks. Excited for them to join us and looking forward to working with them. 


Happy Birthday Starbucks!!! 
Free cake for me. My lucky Monday :)


All You Can Eat Sushi with the 17ers. 


A friend I made in Lima. 


Mission Muñequitos. 
Crossing my fingers for Pooh or Mickey or anyone but Donald. 
The things I do for that 6 year old. 


Our harvest.
We made out alright despite the 2 unwanted Donalds. 


Little Man was impressed :)
(He makes a weird smile right now because he still doesn't have front teeth...)


This was all FREE!!! 
And oh so delicious :)
Taught my host mom how to prepare it and they loved it. 
WIN. 


No comments:

Post a Comment