Friday, November 16, 2012

Back to Peru, Back to work


Remember that "post-vacation blues" I was whining about earlier? Here's how it went away.
My vacation to Wisconsin was better than I could have imagined. But all vacations must come to an end, and as much fun as Peru provides, I am here to work. So the morning after my midnight arrival in Lima, I was staring at a full agenda and an obnoxiously long list of emails to respond to wondering when I would have time to nap off all of that travel and unpack the suitcase full of treats that I hauled back. Silly me, that's what weekends and extraneous holidays are for. Damn I love you, Peru. 
How happy was my heart when I went to the school district office on the Friday morning I arrived in Ascope, about 30 minutes after getting off my bus, to check in and get back to work- only to find it locked up with everyone out of the office on a long weekend. All Saints Day had landed on a Thursday this year, which means that Friday becomes a free day too! Thanks for the 4 day weekend, 2012 calendar :) How did I not anticipate that? 
Having the weekend to recover, mope around, and binge on Halloween candy was a blessing. It prepared me for my first week back, which left no time for resting. Also a blessing. I needed to be slapped out of my post- awesome trip pity party, and the best way for that to happen was to be thrown into all of the work that was waiting for me back in the beautiful Chicama Valley.  
Since I've been back in Ascope, I finished up my year-long English course with the English teachers of my province, taught some kids about the ozone layer, held an evaluation/ feedback meeting with the coordinators of our health/ environment education group, gave a presentation to local authorities on what I've done in my first year here, and started plans for World AIDS Day activities. Worry not, I also had time to share my America treats (two words: cheddar cheese) (two more words: thanks mom!), help  one of the outgoing volunteers move out, and find some beach time in between. My life is pretty sweet. 
Another thing worth mentioning here is that there were 2 events that happened while I was gone that changed the course of my work, at least in the short term-
A- The school year got crazy busy as teachers and students struggled to catch up on the class material and extra-curriculars that were stalled by September's national teacher strike. 
and 
B- There was an outbreak of Bubonic Plague in a neighboring town about 20 minutes from Ascope. 
So with the combination of the education folks buzzing about at full speed trying to stay afloat and the fine people in the health field scrambling to get ahead of a growing problem, I find myself amid a group of very motivated people working together with more priority and urgency than was present when I left. 
I'm not saying that month-long education strikes or cases of the plague are a good thing. But I am saying that I am happy to be a part of the teams working on these challenges. After a year of working with these people, I am proud of the relationships I have with them and am looking forward to our shared work in the coming months. I can genuinely say that I am happy and motivated for the coming year and all it has to offer. 
Take that, post-vacay pity party. I'm back. And this time I have Peanut Butter M&Ms. Unstoppable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment