Tuesday, December 11, 2012

November Recap


Ah, sweet November. The quiet and still before the holiday madness. The nice weather, whether it be fall's warm chill in the States, or early summer's promising sun here in Peru. November has a lot to appreciate. Here is what I appreciate about November this year. 
-It's officially summer in Peru. I returned to Ascope from my trip home on November 2nd to find beautiful sunny skies and that gorgeous climate I left, only warmer and with the feeling of summer in the air. 
-I was asked in September to give a presentation on the ozone layer to a group of elementary students at a small school (2 room school house) in a rural area surrounding a neighboring town. Due to the teacher strike and my trip home, it was postponed to November. When it finally happened, though, it was fantastic. True to local fashion, those who have the least seem to give the most. The people who hosted the event were so generous that they not only gave me a free shirt for doing this, but also gave me some pottery that was found in neighboring fields years earlier. I spotted it in the school and was admiring it before the presentation because I love ceramics. This region of Peru has a long and rich history from pre-Incan civilizations all the way to European presence and Agrarian reform. Because of that, there are little treasures sprinkled all over the valley we live in. The school principal noticed my interest in the ceramics and gave me two of the pieces. SO generous. Aside from that, the presentation was a lot of fun and the kids were great. 'Twas an excellent Peace Corps day, that one. 
-Following up our evaluation meeting for the Red Ambiental (health and environmental education club) that we did with student leaders, my counterpart and I held a meeting for the adult coordinators of the club to discuss successes and challenges. I got to give some feedback and suggestions and we had an open discussion about what's working and what's not. This was a good experience and a positive experience. I am continually overwhelmed and appreciative of the way the people I work with here trust and respect me and my opinion in matters such as this one. It was a nice feeling of professionalism and trust to be given the opportunity to lead this meeting and share ideas with the people who are affecting change and working towards improvements within the province. Little by little, things will happen. I love being a part of it here in Ascope and I'm really proud of the work done this school year, despite its challenges and negative aspects. 
-In this meeting, I also got to share the vests that were purchased for the coordinators of this club with funds that I helped obtained by teaching English. It was nice to reward them for all of their hard work this year. As I said, I'm proud to be a part of all of this and watch this club develop and move forward. 
-The same week that all of that happened, I wrapped up my work with the English teachers of the province for this school year. With one last workshop and a little party, with concluded our work for the year. I will miss them over the summer break, but we should be able to pick up where we left off next March. It was a great year with them and a pleasure getting to know them all. I love that project. 
-The following week, a group of volunteers from my region in the Peru 16 group that came before my group finished their service and left Peru. It's always bittersweet when that happens. Even though it's super sad to see close friends leave, you can't help but be proud of them for all that you have watched them go through and achieve. Love you 16! Good luck with all you do and enjoy your travels! 
-The plus side of having to say goodbye to your Peace Corps friends is inheriting their things :) Special thanks to Kerrilynn Macarrone for all the treats. I have plans to be pantsless for the rest of my service. No you perverts, I'm no going to not wear any bottoms, I mean I am going to wear skirts for the rest of my time here. Kerri left me tons of beautiful skirts and other sweet stuff that she couldn't fit in her bags to take back with her. 
-Speaking of Kerri, before she left she finished up a course of cultural classes she was teaching. I went to the closing exhibit she put on with photos that the kids had taken of their town in order to share their own culture. This was really cool and an awesome way for the students to share their perspectives, activities, and what they value and appreciate with their peers, parents, teachers, and our group of Peace Corps volunteers who came to the event. It was a nice way for Kerri to go out and wrap up her time in Chicama. 
-As the month wound down, I spent some time in Lima to help with the newsletter of the youth development program. Because I was there I was fortunate enough to spend Thanksgiving with a bunch of volunteers at a Peace Corps staff member's home. then the following day I got to see Lady Gaga live in Lima. Excellent way to spend the holiday. More on that in a previous post. 
-The last week of the month was spent with the group of teen health promoters in Ascope carrying out events leading up to December 1st, World AIDS Day. Even though our events didn't quite turn out as planned, the girls did a great job with the activities and it all worked out alright in the end. 
-I also started a vocational orientation project with the seniors of the high school in my town at the end of the month. Teenagers. Blegh. At best, this project will encourage at least a few of them to go to university. At the least, I can hope to get a couple of them to think about what they will do after high school. 
-In between all of that stuff, I was able to hang out with the host fam and enjoy their company after being away for nearly 3 weeks. Farid, Piere, and I made cookies. But this time they were good. They weren't terrible last time, but this time they were way better. That is to be credited entirely to my wonderful sister Bridget who got me measuring spoons and cups along with chocolate chips to bake with the host brothers as a birthday gift. What a great idea that I never would have thought of. 
So that's November. Certainly can't whine about it. Doing well. Hope all of you can say the same. On to December we go... 


No comments:

Post a Comment