Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Sorting Hat Has Spoken

Wednesday, August 3rd has finally come and gone. On this much anticipated day, the Peace Corps Trainees of Peru 17 learned where we will be for the next 2 years. Site assignment day was a whirlwind of excitement and emotion for everyone. As it has passed, I can safely say that I am thrilled with my placement and I am thoroughly impressed, yet again, by our Peace Corps Peru staff. I think they did an awesome job of placing everyone and I couldn't be happier for our group and what lies ahead of us all. 

That said, I am going to Ascope, La Libertad! A "charming northern desert town" of about 5,000 people awaits my arrival later this month. I will be replacing a current volunteer on his way out and will be about an hour away (give or take) from the beach and the nearest person from my group. There are current volunteers nearby who I look forward to meeting. I am curious to get to know them and to figure out how far away from me they are. From Peru 17, there are 5 of us moving to La Libertad, 3 youthies and 2 business volunteers. My fellow youthies are amazing ladies and I am so happy to be in the same place as both of them. The 2 business volunteers are great as well and I look forward to getting to know them more also. Good times lie ahead. We have a great little group.

Speaking of excitement, I cannot wait to meet my host family! I will have 2 little brothers again and will live with a farm couple rumored to have fields, a cat, gardens, flushing water in the house, a fence, a dog, internet access, cell phone service, and "minor animals." As far as the mysterious animals go, I'm taking any bets you want to place. So far we're guessing guinea pigs, chickens, and ducks. I think it's great that I ended up with a farm family. This time, I think/ hope I will appreciate living on a farm more than I did as a young chap. I want to help in their field. I want to know what their field is. My guess is either corn or sugar cane. 

This Sunday night I leave for La Libertad to meet the people I will be working with and my host family next week. I am so excited to meet these people and see my new home. There are project options I want to learn more about and a "charming desert town" that I want to explore. 

Sooo happy. Warm weather, a community familiar with Peace Corps Volunteers, children in my host home, internet, beach opportunities, cool people, so much more. I got everything I asked for. These are the real wins, now on to the ones I am more excited about than I probably should be... 

There is a marathon every July 4th that was started a few years ago by a Peace Corps Volunteer. This marathon is an event I was hoping to participate in, depending on my placement, and it is in Pacasmayo... an hour away from where I will live. Jackpot. Best set up evverrr!!!! =)

Win #2: Starbucks. Trujillo, the capital of La Libertad has one. Sweet delicious lattes lie 2 hours away from my next home. Boom. 

More info to come following my site visit. Probably won't be updating much next week, as I'll be away. As always, thanks for stopping by :)

I'm on the map! 


My New Home!!!


Research! 


            
                                  Celebratory Italian Dinner with my new 'neighbor' :)


No comments:

Post a Comment