Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Saturday, Sunday, Monday

Last Saturday we visited an organization that provides a place for children who work in the street to go and learn/ play. Kind of like a Boys and Girls Club for underprivileged/ at risk children. It was very eye-opening to see the reality for these kids, but at the same time it was exciting to see why we are here and what we can do to help. Our group played soccer with them for a little while and talked to the staff. The area these kids work in is the most dangerous area of Lima. Walking through their market was an experience I won't forget. It was nice to spend some time with the kids and see the type of work our group is here for. I'm looking forward to seeing more organizations like this and am starting to get really excited about the job I'm here to do. Saturday morning well spent. 

Sunday I hung out with the family and got caught up on random things. Ran 5 miles, spent some time with Efraín (the 9 year old host brother), watched some Disney movies with the kids, had a nice lunch, etc. Efraín thinks he can beat me in running race, which he can't so far... I think he's started an epic battle. I feel we will be racing until I leave. If I had any morals I'd let him win, but the runner inside of me is losing more and more  dignity each day with the amount of chocolate I eat here. To save the runner within, I couldn't stage a loss. I'll keep you all updated on this situation. He cheats to win. It was a very relaxing day and some time well spent with the host family. 

Monday was a day of fun and sports to celebrate the Fourth. Our Youth Development group and the Small Business Development group got together for the first time since our arrival here to relax and celebrate the holiday. It was a really nice day. That night I watched the Peru vs. Uruguay game of the Copa America with my host family, which was also really nice. Game was a tie. Makes me more anxious for Friday's game vs. Mexico. I like watching soccer. My soccer skills, or lack thereof, are another story altogether...

Monday night I was also able to call home to wish Mom and Dad a happy Fourth. Sounded like they were having fun with the kids and it was great to talk to Mom for a few minutes. Looking forward to Skyping with the parents again soon. I love Skype and am taking full advantage of internet while I can. If you want to chat on Skype, let me know and we can make a date. Frequency of blog posts may drop off in about a month, but thanks for stopping by until then. So happy to see how many views I'm getting. I feel so loved :)

No comments:

Post a Comment