Thursday, February 16, 2012

HOT HOT HEAT

NOTE: This entry is not a complaint, but an observation. 

It is HOT. AS. BALLS these days. Ascope is in the middle of the desert with just a tiny breeze to move around the ridiculous heat we are getting right now. I don't think it's been less than 90 degrees all week. I can't be sure on the actual temperature, because everyone gives me different numbers- including the internet, but I know that it is hotter than anything I have ever seen, especially for this amount of time. I'm pretty sure I've only lived through a few really hot days a year at a time... and that when it comes to heat, I am a baby. I'm adjusting, sure. But this is rough on my hardened Wisconsin skin which is used to being frozen dry this time of year instead of burnt to a flaky crisp. Don't worry Mom, I am wearing sun screen. I've never hoped for the end of summer until this year. Sure, it's nice to have fresh fruit and sun and beach weather. Don't get me wrong, I love summer and I'm enjoying getting to know a new climate. But hell, it's hot. I think my brain is melting it's so hot. My motivation is zapped. I want to sleep all the time. I sweat just sitting in my room doing no physical activity whatsoever. The other day, I literally slipped on my own sweat. At the end of the day, my clothes are soaked in sweat and feel heavy to wear. I'm not exaggerating. It's not just me, it seems like everyone in my town feels this way to some degree. The heat is all we talk about. I feel for my pcv friends who are farther north than I am, it's a lot worse for them I am sure. I keep that in mind, that it could be worse. I could be farther north, or worse yet, I could be in the Wisconsin cold right now ;) I'll take this over a Wisco winter while I can. 

To cope, I am doing what the locals do- eating ice cream and popsicle treats (of course); sitting in the dark (often because the power goes out, which I'm told is also because of the heat); drinking cold soda (even though I don't like soda, and I know it's dental suicide for me); and stripping down (which for me just means walking around my room in a sports bra and shorts, as I can't be seen in anything less than professional around town). I have seen a little less of my host fam this past week because we're all hiding out in our 'summer outfits.' lol. Piere keeps a towel near him to wrap up in when I come around. Otherwise, he's a little captain underpants all day. I'm really happy I brought some big hippy skirts. It's too hot for pants and skirts look better professionally than the 2 pairs of shorts I have here. I take a lot of shit for these skirts, but they are all I can wear these days. To the towns folk, my host fam, and a few special volunteers friends- a message: No I'm not a gypsy, no I don't read palms, no I've never been to India, and no I'm not wearing a bed sheet. I just don't want to sit around with swampass all day in sweat soaked jeans rolled up to my knees for ventilation. 

Baby as I may be, I'm certainly not the only uncomfortable one around these parts. The heat has caused my numbers to go down in the summer classes I'm teaching. And for the kids who come, the heat has stolen their concentration. I don't blame them at all so I let them go to the water fountains frequently, when there is water. Something all the kids here do is completely soak their heads in water to cool off. I've copied them a few times while I've been running and I think it's brilliant. Unfortunately, living in the desert, we don't have water all the time, so the little mini-bath sessions are more of a treat than anything and only happen once in a blue moon. 

And speaking of mini baths, I happened along a good one yesterday. Early afternoon, while in my room preparing for my art class, I could hear Piere singing- which is nothing but normal. It was coming from a different part of the house than usual though, so I went to make sure he wasn't up to anything too Piere-like for his own good. I found him in a self-drawn bath in the laundry basin. First I heard the splashing, then I saw the chair propped up to the basins with his shorts on them. And there he was splashing around singing. I tried sneaking up on him, but instead I got the "Ayy Breeeett! You found me!" I'm so used to hearing by now. Shortly afterwards, my host mom came outside to see what I was doing and she was just as surprised as I was to see Captain Underpants sitting in the lavanderia all wet. We then staged an attack photo shoot and took a little splashing before I left for my afternoon class. Never a dull moment when you live with a 6 year old. His only response as to why he would climb into the laundry sink and swim around was the obvious one, "it's too hot to do anything else and my pool deflated." If only I could fit in a laundry sink. 




Side Note: I don't know what happened to the bottom of this photo, but I will do what I have been doing all month and I will blame the heat. It takes like an hour to load a photo, so you're stuck with this one. Apologies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment