Monday, February 20, 2012

UPDATE: Marathon Training

So, I'm not sure if any of you are interested in this, but as a motivator to keep myself going, I want to talk about the marathon training I've recently started. Being the cocky idealistic person I am, I figured training for a marathon in a desert summer would be tough, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was wrong...shocker. How do I say this without sounding like a whiny bitch? It's hot as balls in the desert. This is a less than pleasant task I have embarked on. 

In case you care to know more about this, I'll take you to one of the many lists that my head conjures up during runs in response to my body's wanting to stop. This list gets created and revised every time I run... 

Positives

>Exercise 
>Alone time 
>Relaxation
>Great scenery (seriously, I have these little mini-mountains that take on a gorgeous blue tone around twilight, it's beautiful)
>Progress toward a goal
>Wellness
>Being an example to the kids I work with
>Having a reputation in the community as the "girl who always runs and never gets tired." That's a lie that I will just leave alone ;) 
>I have a Garmin, good shoes, my nerdy running belt, my nerdy running hat, and Gu--- these are many things most others here don't have to help them train.
>I have somewhere safe to run: feel safe on the roads and for short runs, the groundskeeper at the stadium opens the track just for me :) 
>Running a marathon in Peru is something I really really want. Missing out on this opportunity would be a shame and something I would regret. 

Negatives

>Shin splints
>Heat rashes (despite my overpriced allegedly "dry-fit, sweat-wicking," Nike pants. Thanks for nothing you silly corporation I used to trust). 
>Rabid dogs (I had to kick a puppy in the face the other day to get him to stop biting my foot. Still feeling guilty for that one. His owner told me to do it :/ )
>Dehydration (regardless of how much water I drink) 
>Having to go without a post-run shower on days we don't have water (don't judge. I'm not a dirty hippy, I just care about wellness and live in the desert... sometimes I really am like a real Peace Corps volunteer ;) 
>Running in 90 degree + heat, with no option for anything longer than about 20 minutes in a cooler temperature. 

So if you were wondering, that's how training is going for me so far. My times are slow and I'm being a whiny baby about the heat. But, I'm getting my miles in and have found some pretty nice/ safe routes to use for the coming months. There is also a group of neighbors that is always outside when I finish my runs. I've gotten into the habit of chatting with them after running, and that's something I can look forward to mid-run when everything sucks. I think it will get easier, and at this point, I just look forward to making it through training injury free. I'm already convinced that if I finish this marathon, I will have an awful finishing time. I'm not after speed here, as that doesn't seem like something I will be able to offer in this race. The goals are just to train and to finish. This is harder than I thought it would be. I'll keep you updated on how it goes, for better or worse. 

If anyone is interested in supporting this cause, Gu packets can be sent to the address on the right -----> 

I'm spoiled enough as it is, so I don't need mail, but if you were wondering if there was anything I wanted in a package, it's Gu ;) 

Anyway, there's your update on marathon training. Whine as I might, running in the desert is still better than running on a treadmill or those wet, icy WI sidewalks. Knowing this fact alone keeps me going. To all of you training for spring races: keep it up, you are an inspiration. 


Mom Disclaimer: This is not me. I could never wear this while running here, nor am I getting skinny. This is a random internet find, worry not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment