Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January Recap

Also new to 2012- monthly recaps. At the end of each month I will add a quick review to the blog. I want to do this because A- I like making lists, B- I think in quick bursts of thought better than I do in sentences, and C- I think this will be a fun way to include the random little life happenings and thoughts that I wouldn't otherwise think to share on the blog in more theme-specific posts. Here we go... 

-January started out really really crappy for me and ended quite nicely. I am busy, happy, loving what I am doing, and happy to be where I am. 

-Summer in the dessert means pretty much 3 things for me: summer school, heat like I've never known before, and delicious fresh fruit. 

-I've been teaching English and art classes all month and I love it. 

-Last week I walked past a group of guys about my age blasting a song that they clearly knew and enjoyed, as they had learned how to sing some of the words and had made a little dance for it. The song? "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." I love you, Peru. 

-It's easily between 80 and 90 degrees here every day now, sometimes hotter. I still eat hot steamy soup twice a day...outside. 

-Getting creativity out of kids here has been my favorite Peace Corps challenge so far. Kids are so creative when you give them the chance to be. 

-Due to him not having school right now (summer break) and most of the family being on vacation for half of the month, I spent a lot of quality time with Piere in January. I've played more Memory, Slap Jack, Go Fish, and Crazy Eights this month than I have in my entire adult life. In fact, while writing this just now, I was interrupted for a game of Memory. In case you're wondering, I lost. So far, he's ahead of me in Go Fish and Slap Jack wins, but I've got a nice lead on him as far as Memory and Crazy Eights go. Yes, we have tally sheets. Otherwise we argue. We've also managed to pick a pile of peaches and cherries, get locked out of the house, watch too much of a ridiculous TV show he's obsessed with, argue about his puppy's name, and break a window. Fighting and breaking stuff with a 6 year old... I know what you're thinking. Worry not, I am also teaching him English. For which in return I get many lessons myself. Did you guys know that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" has a Spanish version? This is what I learned when Piere learned the alphabet song. Some day when I have more time, I'll fill you all in on little man and his antics. They're worth sharing. 

-Of the 31 days in January, I went to the beach on 5 of them. That's not enough :p 

-This month more than any other month so far in Peace Corps, I felt the incredible value of the support I have from my fellow volunteers. I know I say this a lot, but I love them and can't imagine this experience without having all of them here with me. I am forever thankful for their kindness, randomness, great conversations, and good company. 

-Peruvian Beaches in the summer are more crowded than a Golden Coral on mother's day in Central Wisconsin. 

-I like teaching English more than I thought I would. I knew I liked it because I have enjoyed doing it in the past, but having a full class and my own curriculum is pretty fantastic. 

-Mango season is a gift to the world. I never used to like mangos, but now that they are fresh and giant and in abundance, I gave them another shot. I love them. Mangos are like soda and Ritz crackers and avocados: Peru makes them better :) I've consumed so many mangos this month. Next on the menu: mango salsa, just in time for the super bowl. Thank you Kerri Maccarone for your wealth of good ideas. 

-I play BINGO every day in my English class for my students to practice their English numbers. Each time I call B4, I think of the Nigon Christmas and how every year when B4 is called someone says, "Before what?!?!" 

-I've gotten to talk to my friends from home more this month than in those past. Mom, Brenda, Eva, Sara, Lisa, Sal- thank you. You are fantastic and I am lucky to have you all. I can't tell you how great it has been having all of you there to talk to whenever I needed/ wanted to this month. You're the best  and I love you guys. 

-Teaching is a lot more work than I think a lot of people realize. 

-I have been really busy this month and it's awesome. Between teaching and planning for projects that will start in March when the school year begins, I feel like I've finally hit a groove and have a routine down. It's great. 

-Flirting is the bane of my teaching experience here so far. I hate it. Why can't teenagers just co-exist peacefully. Why must they flirt? There's a young man in my classes who is a great student. But the minute he shows up, the productivity of all of my all-star female students plummets. Thinking about this makes me think that my middle school teachers must have hated me. If I were to compare my students to the adolescent version of myself- this would be the pot calling the kettle black :P

-I finally got a new camera!!! Expect many pictures in future posts :) 

-Training for the Pacasmayo Marathon on July 1st started this month. Pretty excited for the challenges and rewards this will bring. Desert marathon, here we go... 

-I have made friends with the owners of the Peruvian equivalent to a Michael's craft store in the next town over. This means friends, great customer service, and free calendars. I'm really happy about this arrangement. 

-My host dad's birthday was on January 13th. To celebrate, we watched Peruvian music videos, had a cake fight, and danced in the living room until midnight, all while wearing funny hats. 

-January is ending with a big full busy month ahead of me. I am looking forward to so many things that are coming up and will try to keep the blog full of activity throughout the coming month. 

This got a little longer than I intended, as usual. Thanks for sticking with me. Hope everyone else had a great month and continues to enjoy 2012 :)


Side Note: I finally have a camera... and now my blog won't upload photos. Ah, Peru. 

No comments:

Post a Comment