Saturday, October 6, 2012

Special Thanks to Katy Perry


Yes, you read that right. I would like to take a moment to thank Katy Perry. 
A few weeks ago I was in a slump. I don't watch movies very much so I swung by the local hole in the wall where you can buy pirated movies. And there it was- the Katy Perry movie. Two soles later and my Friday night was planned. I'd like to say I watched it once and stowed it away. But that was not the case. 
After saturating my weekend with KP and achieving an uplifted mood on account of the overdose of bubblegum pop, I put the disc away and got to work on the weeks' projects. Coincidentally, that week I was planning a class for my English teachers on teaching English with songs. 
Before I had even become obsessed with Katy's movie, I selected the song "Hot N Cold" to use in my English class. It has a lot of good adjectives, pairs of opposites, and a few particle verbs. The lyrics are also delivered slow enough for students to pick out the words, so it was an obvious choice. 
By the time the class rolled around and I was packing up the mochila for the day, I decided to take toss in the Katy Perry movie. Why not? To my surprise, the teachers loved it. 
It's one thing to tell them about Katy Perry and make them dissect one of her songs. It's another thing altogether to show them concert footage in which she changes her outfit about a dozen times. 
So yes, thank you Katy Perry. Not only did you cheer me up, but you also helped me and my teacher friends out with the Ingles. 
Oh and on a sidenote- While they loved Katy Perry, Adele made them cry. Apparently, something about "Someone Like You" even makes the most macho men cry. We had a sad and pensive crowd with one man sniffling to tears and even admitting the song reminded him of an ex-girlfriend who moved away years ago. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. But hey, at least that means they understood the song :) More songs next week. Hopefully no more tears... 

No comments:

Post a Comment