Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ordinary Things 1: The Market

As mentioned in my last post, I got the idea to blog about the little things that are ordinary to me, but might not be normal for you guys, from a comment my mom made on a picture of the market. So it only seems appropriate to begin with the market in my first of many posts about regular stuff in my Peruvian life. 

The market. Sure, it might seem totally ordinary. I know you guys have them and it's not something crazy different, but being in a Peruvian market is a bit different than being in an American one. First of all, they are often outside and are covered in tarps that give Peruvians plenty of room to walk around. For me, however, and pretty much anyone else of average American height, walking through the market means ducking and squatting, or getting hit in the face with tarps and the ropes that hold them up. Not all of them are like that and many are indoors, but they are all set up pretty much the same with stands and tables strewn about in a maze-like fashion.

Another thing they all seem to have in common is a community. What I love about the market is that everyone seems to know everyone and when I go with my host family, they have specific vendors they go to every time and there is a sense of appreciation from both sides. That's something you can't usually find in US supermarkets. For example, I have a fruit guy, and a guy I buy water from, and a lady I buy flowers from... and then there's the chicken lady, but I don't go near her stand, I just know her from school. She's sweet as pie, but I hate the smell of dead chickens, so I usually just wave and saludar (greet) her from across the market. She understands. There's a fish guy too who likes to show me how crabs change color when you boil them. I'd like to tell him that I saw one too many crabs getting boiled when I saw "The Little Mermaid" about 20 years ago, but that would leave him thinking I'm crazier than he already thinks I am for not wanting to eat crab to begin with. 

These are all friends in the market in Ascope, which I frequently visit for no other reason than it's proximity to where I live. I like walking through the market on my way home from the high school or school district, just to see everyone and say hello. More often than not, I don't buy anything. But if I do, it's fruit. Ah, the fruit. Nom. 

The markets in our neighboring town of Casa Grande or the regional capital of Trujillo have much bigger markets with more choices and loads more people. I can only handle the big markets when I need something specific. They are too much for me otherwise. Sensory overload. Dead animals, raw meat, blood on the floor, flies, vendors yelling at me, pig feet, cow heads, small alleys, old ladies cutting in front of me, etc. I get a little bit of "market anxiety." Lame, I know, but I can't help it. It's something I'm working on. 

I do like eating lunch at the markets, though. In the midst of the produce and other products are market restaurants with cheap daily specials. Some of my favorite meals in the past 10 months have been eaten in the markets. Piles of delicious food for about $1.50 USD. 

Can't beat that. Fresh food. Camaraderie. Lunch. All in one place. 

Minus the meat stuffs, I'm a fan. But hey, it's not the market's fault I'm a wimp when it comes to animal parts. Overall, the market = a good thing. 



A few shots taken during some recent mercado visits-



Kerri checking out the fruta. 


Fresh cheese in Ayacucho :)


Slack attack! 


No comments:

Post a Comment