Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ordinary Things 3: Five Sole Menu

Counterintuitively, the term 'menu' at a restaurant is not the paper menu itself, but rather it refers to the daily specials. Usually a menu includes two courses and a drink. If you're lucky you'll get a dessert. The great thing about menus is that they are a lot of food for very little money, with the average menu costing between 5 and 10 soles. In US dollars, 5 soles is just under $2. The 5 sole menu is pretty easy to find and something I love. The feeling of thriftiness is very fulfilling to me, and so is a huge pile of food. 

The first course, or the 'entrada' as it is called, is usually an option of soup, salad, ceviche, aji de gallina, or papa a la huancaĆ­na. The last of those options usually being what I order, because it is creamy and delicious. The entrees vary between a variety of dishes starring fried pork, goat, beef, chicken, fish or noodles. I usually take either fish or the noodles. Oh, the noodles. 

Side note: I think the word 'noodle' is fun in English and in Spanish. In Spanish, we call them tallarines or fideos. Both of those words are super fun :) I want to learn how to say noodle in all languages, because I bet it will always be fun. 

Anyway, I'm a big fan of menu. Authentic, local, cheap, plentiful. The only thing you sacrifice is the customer service. But hey, it's Peru. The idea of service with a smile around these parts hasn't quite caught on just yet. 

Here are some shots that I snapped last week during a nice lunch hour in Trujillo. Enjoy :) 


How it starts: that glorious sign on the sidewalk. 


Fresh fruit juice: it's a good thing. 


Course 1: Papa a la Huancaina, shadowed by my lunch buddy's ceviche. 


Course 2: Tallarines verdes con pollo. Chicken with green noodles, literally. 
And no, I didn't eat the chicken ;)


My compaƱero's second course: Goat and beans. 
Notice that it's already been tucked into. I can never get complete food pictures with volunteers around. 


All for just 5 solcitos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment