Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ordinary Things 2: Jugo!

Jugo= Juice. And who doesn't love juice? 

Fresh juice tops my list of favorite street treats in Peru. Yes, I get fresh fruit juices from my host mom, in the market, at restaurants, and more, but it's best when procured on the street while struggling through one of those sweltering days in the North. In other words, I beat the heat with orange juice. 

Setting me back about a sol, I prefer orange juice over the other varieties (like pineapple or papaya, por ejemplo) for it's Vitamin C and tangy personality. Juice stands spring up all over throughout the mornings, and you can usually pick them out by the orange peelings that often hang from the side of the stand, or the glass box full of citrusy balls of joy that sit under the juicers.  

Not only is the product worth the purchase, but street juice usually comes with some friendly conversation... especially if it's the lady outside the post office in Trujillo. We're pals. Because it is served in a real glass and not a disposable waste of plastic, the juice connoisseur has the chance to chat with the juice vendor. Bonus! 

And yes, I snapped photos during a juice break. Call me a gringa, a tourist, even a nerd. You wouldn't be the first. No shame :) 



Classic juice stand in Trujillo. I think I do a little skip when I see these. 


Salud! 


Beautiful color. 


A Saturday morning treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment