Friday, June 1, 2012

April Recap


It's June 1st. I realized that I can't do a May recap without first adding one for April. I'll try to keep it short. April was a long time ago already, we'll see what I can even remember. May went by in a blur and I never got around to writing a full April recap, but most of the cool things that happened are on the blog in other posts. Here you go, better late than never... 

-The month started out in Ayacucho, where I spent Holy Week. It's a very charming little place in the Andes. I had a great time there spending Easter week/ weekend with old volunteer friends and some pretty cool new ones. 

-What stands out about April most for me are the Red Ambiental meetings. I led a lot of them that month with varying topics, though Earth Day was a central theme. There's a post about that here from not too long ago. Pictures and explanations found there :) 

-While in Lima on the way back from Ayacucho after Easter, a group of 6 of us volunteers had All-You-Can-Eat Sushi in Lima. Best drain of S/. 45 I could think of. This is a Lima splurge that has already been repeated and is pretty much a guaranteed trip I will make every time I stumble into Miraflores. 

-After 8 months of living near Trujillo and wanting to go to the botanical garden, I finally made it happen! Free entrance and my being poor certainly helped.

-I got some great packages in April! Thanks guys! You are the best and I am spoiled!!! I love the toast socks, Lisa :) Oh, and to anyone who sent me magazines, THANK YOU! Not only are they great entertainment, but I also use these for craft projects with the kids and they go a long way. You guys don't realize how much you help me out ;)

-I was super duper poor in April, and that was alright. It worked out and was good for me. The only part that sucked was that when I was down to S/. 6.60, I found out that S/. 2.10 of those coins were counterfeit. Who the hell makes a fake ten cent piece? And yes, I see the irony in boasting about dropping S/. 45 on sushi, then whining about being poor in the same post. Sometimes, a girl's got to splurge. 

-After taking a trip for Holy Week, I didn't feel like leaving site too much. It was nice to spend time with the host family and I stayed really busy with work all month which is always a good thing. This led to a couple of Saturday afternoon Trujillo dates with Kerri to pick up mail, go shoe shopping, grab good coffee, use the interwebs, then head back to Ascope. A very nice little afternoon break. 

-April ended with a big all-night party with my host family. See the "Cruz de Botija" post. 



This is all I will leave you with for April, along with a few snapshots. Life has stayed just as busy and awesome. May recap coming soon... 

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying Wisco springtime! MISS YOU!!!




Question: How many pieces of sushi can 6 hungry volunteers take down?


Answer: More than 200 


I made a friend at the botanical garden :)


Red Ambiental, April: Teaching about recycling


Luminaries on the eve of May 1st.
Cruz de Botija party! 

No comments:

Post a Comment