Thursday, October 20, 2011

Birthday Mail! Birthday Mail! Birthday Mail!

Thursday 
October 6th

Birthday Mail! 

The week leading up to my birthday was rather slow and strange. Stress was coming from places I didn't expect it, like random rumors around the neighborhood, a short lull in projects, a seemingly infinite and forever frustrating process of setting up internet in my room, etc. So by the time Thursday rolled around, I decided to take a quick trip into Trujillo for some random errands, one of them to pop into the post office and check for rumored birthday mail. This turned out to be a wonderful day that was a break I needed more than I had thought. Not only because I was able to learn more about the city and get oriented a bit better, but mostly due to the fact that I was pleasantly surprised with a bundle of fantastic birthday mail! I have the best collection of people in my life that a girl could ask for. Thank you to Sara Stremikis and Joe Kotlowski for brightening my week just when I needed it that day. The pictures below display my birthday schwag (to steal a Joe phrase ;) If you look real close you can see that the peanut butter pumpkin didn't make it home to be photographed, but I did keep the wrapper for photographic purposes. 

After discovering and aprovecharing this gem of a treat, I headed to the mall for a pizza hut lunch and a chill Trujillo afternoon with my friend Matt. Upon returning home, I couldn't help but think about how incredibly lucky I am. In the Peace Corps, and just life in general. I ended up in a beautiful country in a site that I love that sits within two hours from American comforts if (more realistically, when) I need them. I have a host family who, just in that week, had learned how to make tofu for me, helped me set up internet in my room, and was planning a birthday party for me. I have friends here like Matt who can tell when I need a day away, and like Brian, Slack, Sue, and Nicole who are always there to talk and know exactly what to say and what I'm going through. On top of all of this, I have the never ending unconditional love of everyone back home that is more appreciated than I can explain. To not only be remembered on my birthday, but to get packages too?!? I am so loved. And when I say loved, I mean spoiled. 

Sara, I was really wanting a new shirt. Can't explain it, but sometimes a Target shirt is an easy treat that can really pick a girl up. Thanks for that :) Also, the sticky Halloween set that you sent was a big hit with the host brothers. Farid put a bat in his school notebook and Piere was begging me to put the rest on the window. The picture below shows it when it still looked nice. Currently, the Trick or Treat says "Korticat" and the castle is ripped. When I asked little man what happened, he said "it must have been the green bat." uh-huh. 

Joe, everything you sent, keep it coming :) Peanut butter M&M's and new music all in one?!?! Lucky girl :) Oh, and that Luna bar came in real handy on the morning of my 9 mile race... more on that coming soon. That damn race deserves it's own entry... more later. Thanks for stopping by :)


Joe Package!!!


Sara Strem Package! 


Window Fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment