Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 17: Machete Time!

Day 17
Sep. 7, 2011
Wednesday
>6am- Machete lesson! Learned how to cut corn with a machete then helped in the field until 9:45am. That's almost 4 hours of corn cutting! I was wiped out for the rest of the day. Soooo tired. I really enjoyed spending time with my host grandpa and host dad. It was actually kind of relaxing and stress relieving to knock things over with a giant knife. The manual labor was nice. I liked it. I wanted to go back the next day, but Maggie and Betty wouldn't allow it because I have a blister from holding the machete. A tiny little blister.
> Breakfast of this delicious combo of scrambled eggs and peppers/ onions. So good! Then a package arrived from a relative in Cajamarca. She sent cheese! And manjar blanco and roscitos... which I love. Nom.
> Very extensive bucket bath. So dirty after my corn cutting adventure.
> Worked on finding some activities for next week's workshop with the parents and psychologist. Read through A TON of Peace Corps material. Found some good stuff.
> Lunch with fam. Yummy things. Beet salad over rice with huancaina sauce and an egg.
> Foot races with Piere, as I had promised him. I made him drink juice between races, then count to ten in English so the juice could settle before running again. Then we jump roped, then ran some more.
> Went to school district and talked to Manuel about the English material I prepared. He seemed to like the work plan, but it sounds like he might have some minor changes to make. That's cool. He said he would read through it and talk to the director and would get back to me with a time and place. It seems to me like he just wants a native English speaker to speak in front of the teachers for their benefit. That's fine. He asked that I speak only English for the entire lesson. Ok. I can handle that. I hope the teachers can understand my English better than they can understand my Spanish. Still working on shaking off that gringa accent.
>Stopped by the tienda I like with a good candy/ cookie selection. Learned that the owner's name is Wilson. We talked about current events and Ciro and Rosario for awhile. It was nice. He's a cool fellow.
> Worked on typing up material for the workshop with the parents next Tuesday. Ran with Piere again. Watched a ridiculous tv show with Farid. There is no shortage of ridiculous tv in PerĂº. I am a fan. Overall good day.


6am. Where's your machete? 

My face always betrays me...

                                                                    And there it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment