Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 5

Day 5
26.Agosto. 2011
Friday

>Arrived at the high school in Macabí Alto with my school district community partners, Fany and Ysela, for the first Red Educativa Ambiental (it's a group of student leaders) meeting. Checked in, found a classroom, realized I'd be stranded there without toilet paper...

> The director invited us to coffee and chicken sandwiches. I felt rude not eating the sandwich, but I can't do the chicken... especially not before 10am. We were having a nice conversation and I was talking quite a bit, feeling more comfortable all the while. Suddenly, out of nowhere, what can only be described as a brass band appeared out of nowhere playing "Feliz Cumpleaños." Apparently, tomorrow is the director's birthday. I love it. Once the birthday song was over, they started playing a marinera sort of dance and before I knew it, Fany and the director were dancing in the middle of the room... and this was normal. I love Peru. I love these kinds of surprises.

>All attendees filter in for the day's event and we commence. Of course, we cannot begin without introductions and the hymn of Peru. Naturally, I was called on stage to sit with the important students. There I sat for the next hour watching dances, songs, speeches, etc. in front of the crowd. Not that bad. They didn't make me talk, that's a plus. The dances and music were awesome. I really like that little flute like thing with all of the bamboo looking things strapped together. There was this kid there who was really good at playing it too.

>AIDS workshop with the local nurse. After the nurse's presentation, the teens had to work in groups and propose ideas to promote the days theme (AIDS) in their own schools. After each group of leaders present their ideas, each school votes on the best idea. The winner's proposal then must be carried out by all of the schools. This is the general format for all of the Red Ambiental Educativa meetings. In the end, they decided to do an AIDS march on December 1st, or around that time. Some of the students really got into it. It is great to see natural leaders and I look forward to making them think outside of the box a little bit. They were really sweet too. They seemed, for the most part, to be forgiving of my Spanish flaws and lack of familiarity with what was going on. Afterwards, a bunch of them asked for me email address and asked if I had a facebook. That's so great. I am happy I have the first activity out of the way. I ended up leading the day's events for the student portion after the nurse's presentation and I wasn't quite sure what was going on, having never attended one of these events before. But I think it went well and I know I learned a lot for next time.

>Side Note- Snacks were served: chicha morada and tiny tuna sammiches. I took the chicha to not be rude. I managed to only drink half of it before someone came along and tossed it. Good maneuver. I will have to remember that. The sandwich? It was served on a napkin... I needed some toilet paper. Yes, I ate a sandwich I didn't want for the 'free' toilet paper-esque napkin that it came on. I have no shame.

> Would you like to help lead a parade? Why not! lol. Of course I did it. I led the parade w/ the director of the school and the girl who did the pretty dancing in her pretty outfit. The band came too. It was fun. The director pointed out asparagus warehouses. Tons of asparagus. I'm convinced all of the best produce in Peru comes from La Libertad.

> Lunch! I tried some baby goat. The tiny piece I had was very soft, but the rest I couldn't get off of the bone, and fighting with meat is not something I'm interested in. The pile of rice and chunk of yuca accompanying the cabrita were plenty enough for me. I am developing a love affair with ahi. Nom. Had chica morado... not a fan of that stuff. It's a drink made from purple corn and some splashes of lime juice. I had to choke down nearly 2 glasses today. Boo. Perhaps it will grow on me.

> Returned home to an empty house! Alone time! Abuela was home to let me in. I had myself some internet time, just a few minutes, then I went for a nice long (well, sort of) run. I met a few dogs who aren't afraid of my running rock, which is concerning. However, I found the other end of town where there is a long road that I can take to the next town over. I don't know how far away that is, but that is good to know for next season's marathon training :) On this road, I passed cows, sheep, donkeys, and a few people. Not many dogs. That is great news (: I like this part of town and am happy to run there. It's near the little mountains too. Win! I ended my run just as the sun was setting. It was a desert sunset with a bright red sun and a clear blue sky. SOOO pretty! Love it. I took some pics of this when I arrived at home. Then I jump roped for awhile, to abuela's amazement. Seriously, she's still talking about the jump roping.

> Bucket bath!!! A really long one because no one was home. Greatness :)

> Dinner. Arroz a la Cubana and noodle soup. My favorite things! Coffee followed dinner. Lots of good conversation. Then, they offered me a puppy! They said I could have one of the new puppies! Woohoo! Piere has to approve it though, he is the keeper of the puppies. I kind of want the pirate dog(he has a patch of black over one eye), or the one that looks like a grandpa. So excited.

> This is big. The rest of the fam came home from Trujillo with a GIANT dresser/ armoire thing for me. Gigante. It is so perfect. There is room for everything I have in there and, the best part is that, there is a long mirror on the front of it. Maggie told me they bought that one because the other ones were shorter and the mirrors were at a Peruvian height, which means that I wouldn't have been able to see my head. lol. Awesomeness. A full length mirror that I didn't have to buy, or haul back from Trujillo myself, or try to decide where to put.  Perfection! So excited to fill up my armoire with good stuff tomorrow! My host family is soooo great!

> I found my running Garmin! I thought I had lost or forgotten it somewhere, but it was just hanging out at the bottom of my bag the whole time. Woohoo! Best night ever!

Side notes- Fanny of the school district invited me to be the judge of the science fair in Sausal on Friday, September 14th. Because I'm new, I will be an objective judge... hmm.  I'm pumped. I'm totally qualified for this one, right? lol

Great Friday. Awesome way to end the week (:

No comments:

Post a Comment