Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 4

Day 4
25.Agosto.2011
Thursday

> Breakfast with the fam. Talked about how we did not feel the earthquake the previous day or night. Then talked about how we were going to kill, prepare, and eat ducks for the day.

>Cleaned. Swept the living room, bathroom, and kitchen. Chatted with abuela in her kitchen until she gave me random jobs to do.

> Ducks go down. Helped kill and pluck 4 ducks. Just watched for the first one, touched the second one, held the next two down. Duck #3 shit in my hand. That's when I stopped feeling bad. Plucked my little heart out with abuela. I don't mind plucking so much. The smell of dead duck in boiling water is awful though. Overall, it was sad and gross, but a good experience for me that I am happy to have had. Part of me still can't believe I did it. Another part can't believe I didn't faint. Bonding experience with the family. They especially enjoyed the handful of shit I got. "The duck's vengeance."

>Ate duck. Just a tiny bit. It was alright flavor-wise. Soft and not as greasy as I was expecting. I can't eat meat though. I can't get over the texture or the fact that there are veins and bone and skin attached to it. I tried it though, just like I said I would. The fam was cool about it and seemed happy I tried it.

> Phone call from Mom! Hooray!!! Miss her.

> Dinner. Had a long chat with the fam about many things, earthquakes, tornados, adolescence, fleas, slang, etc. Apparently, the way I was pronouncing 'pulga' (flea) sounded like 'puga' which is slang and translates to an English word, coincidentally beginning with the letter 'p,' referring to 'the female anatomy' as my host mom explained through giggles and rosy cheeks. Oops. They got a nice chuckle out of this one. Good little icebreaker that I probably won't be allowed to forget anytime soon. Nice chat. I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment