Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Happy Vegetarian Awareness Month!

Ok, so a few of you have asked how it's going being a vegetarian in Peru. It's awesome.

My host mom has been feeding me beans, eggs, and veggies, but recently she turned up the brilliance. It was a Saturday night and Piere insisted that I go to the pharmacy with him and the folks. This was weird, but I'm used to everything being weird, so I hopped in the mototaxi and went along with it. After waiting for them at the pharmacy, Henry (host dad) drove over to a random restaurant in Ascope and they explained that is was a vegetarian restaurant. We were there so that I could try their soy meat, and if I liked it they would buy some and learn how to make it. Of course I loved it and gobbled it up like a tiny monster. Oh nom nom. So from that moment on, I have been eating sweet delicious soy products. The weird thing? It happened on world vegetarian day.

Yeah, I know, I'm a total nerd for knowing when world vegetarian day is, but we're coming up on 10 years of no meat... these things just get brought to your attention after awhile. October 1st marks this momentous day and begins vegetarian awareness month, aka the best month of the whole year because it also brings with it my birthday, pretty fall colors*, halloween, football, and pumpkin spice lattes*.

Anyway, we are nearly halfway through October already and I am happy to announce that Maggie has mastered vegetarian Chinese (with tofu and sprouts and delicious sauce with seemingly small amounts of MSG!), soy fillets, veggie/ tofu stir-fry, and tofu veggie patties. I am in heaven.

Another little veggie treat that I have finally discovered? Vegetarian papas rellenas. I have been searching for one of these since my arrival 4 months ago. Thanks to the expertise of those who came before me, I happened upon a wonderful little potato place that serves a delicious stuffed potato that is not tainted by any meat products that I would have to otherwise dissect from my fantastic fried treat. See photo below. This was amazing.

*indicates region specific events ;)



Vegetarian Papa Rellena. AMAZING. 

1 comment:

  1. well i didnt know such a day existed! vegetarian day! i think i'm coming up on...14 yrs? no,...yes. oh my gosh i'm old.

    ReplyDelete